Thursday, May 20, 2010

Soot and ashes on a rose bush or other plants?

my brother inlaw takes old burnt up soot and ashes from the wood they had burned in their fire pit and sprinkles it on the soil around the base of his rose bush and other plants in their garden, i asked him why and he said that the carbon helps the plant grow..."i think...." is he right ? cause his roses dont look that great...

Soot and ashes on a rose bush or other plants?
if its just ashes of wood, probably OK. Otherstuff (duraflame) I would not put in the dirt.





it could change the pH of the soil I presume. roses like it acidic but I don't know what pH specifically.
Reply:I have heard that's right, but they could probably use a good dose of Miracle Grow for roses or some additional fertilizer.


No comments:

Post a Comment